Click Here For More Information
       Click Here To Purchase

              Tickets

       Click Here For More

            Information

 

 Cavanaugh Flight Museum Warbird Rides

 

 

The T-28 is one of the most beloved trainers of the Jet-Age and carried on the fine tradition of training United States Air Force, Navy, and Marine pilots from the 1950's into the early 1980's.

In the late 1940's, the United States Air Force (USAF) issued a design competition for an advanced trainer to replace the AT-6 Texan. North American Aviation submitted the XT-28 and flew the first prototype on September 24, 1949. Production of the T-28 (named Trojan) began the following year and ran until 1958 with a total of 1,948 aircraft produced in three versions. The first production model, the T-28A was powered by an 800 hp Wright R-1300 engine driving a two blade propeller. The performance of the T-28A was similar to that of jet aircraft of that same time period, making it an excellent training aircraft. The T-28A was utilized by the USAF as a trainer until 1956.

The United States Navy (USN) took note of the T-28 and in 1952 contracted with North American Aviation to produce an improved version. The "B" model was a definite improvement and incorporated several changes, the most notable being the installation of a more powerful 1,340 hp Wright Cyclone R-1820 engine driving a three-blade propeller. Another significant change was the addition of a belly mounted speed brake.
In 1955, production began on the "C" model which is essentially a T-28B equipped with a tail-hook and a smaller diameter propeller to allow landings aboard an aircraft carrier. T-28s were utilized by the USN until 1984 when the last "C" model was retired from service.

Although originally designed as a trainer, the T-28 was also utilized as an attack aircraft. Several hundred surplus T-28As were shipped to France in 1959 and modified for combat use by Sud-Aviation for the French Air Force. Known as the Fennec, modifications to the T-28As included the R-1820 engine, installation of underwing hardpoints for bombs/rockets armament, and structural improvements. In 1962 the USAF also began a program to modify surplus T-28As for use as counter-insurgency, fighter-bomber aircraft. These aircraft were modified with the R-1820 engine as well as structural improvements, hardpoints and armament and given the designation, T-28D, Nomad. Some T-28 "B" and "C" models were also converted for combat use and given the designation, T-28D-10.

The T-28B on display, Bureau No. 137789 was built by North American Aviation and delivered to the USN on July 16, 1954. During its time in the Navy, this aircraft logged over 13,000 hours in service training Naval Aviators in the following assignments. Naval Air Advanced Training Command (NAATC) at Naval Air Auxillary Air Station (NAAS) Chase Field, Corpus Christi, TX 9/54-10/55. Naval Air Basic Training Command (NABTC) at NAAS Saufley Field, FL 10/55-10/56. NABTC, NAAS Whiting Field, FL 10/56-12/57. Fleet All Weather Training Unit Pacific (FAWTUPAC), NAS North Island, CA 4/58-9/58. Navy Attack Squadron 121 (VF-121), NAS Miramar, CA 9/58- 2/59. Naval All Weather Attack Squadron 35 (VAAW 35), NAS North Island, CA 02/59-8/59. VA-122, NAS North Island, CA 8/59-12/59. NABTC at NAAS Whiting Field, FL 12/59-8/60. NABTC at NAS Pensacola, FL 8/60-12/60. Bureau of Naval Weapons (BUWEPS), O&R NAS Pensacola, FL 12/60-3/61. Training Squadron 2 (TRARON 2), Whiting Field, FL 3/61-1/64. VA-122, NAS Lemoore, CA 4/64-4/67. TRARON 3, NAS Whiting Field, FL 4/67-5/74. Naval Air Facility (NAF), Andrews AFB, Washington, D.C.8/74-10/76. TRARON 27 NAS Corpus Christi, TX & NAS Pensacola, FL 10/76-04/83. NAS Pensacola Fl 04/83-08/83.

This aircraft was donated to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in 2006 and is painted in the colors it wore when stationed at Lemoore NAS in 1964-1967.

 

Click here for information on how you can take a ride in this historic warbird aircraft.

*This Aircraft is available for your airshow!*

 

ENGINE Wright Cyclone R-1820 developing 1,340 h.p.
ARMAMENT 2 - .50 cal. machine guns & up to 1,800 lbs of ordnance
WING SPAN 40 feet, 7 Inches
LENGTH 32 feet, 6 inches
HEIGHT 12 feet, 7 inches
MAX TAKEOFF WEIGHT 8,600 pounds
CREW 2
MANUFACTURED BY North American Aviation
TOTAL BUILT 1,948
FIRST BUILT 1949
MUSEUM'S AIRCRAFT BUILT July 1954
ON DISPLAY AT Cavanaugh Flight Museum, Addison Airport (KADS), Dallas, Texas
MAXIMUM SPEED 346 m.p.h.
RANGE 1,060 miles
SERVICE CEILING 35,500 feet
Bureau Number 137789
Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up Now for Email Updates
For Email Marketing you can trust

The Cavanaugh Flight Museum is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational organization devoted to promoting aviation studies and to perpetuating America's aviation heritage; the museum fulfills its mission by restoring, operating, maintaining and displaying historically-significant, vintage aircraft, and by collecting materials related to the history of aviation.




4572 Claire Chennault, Addison, TX 75001  [Map] (North of Downtown Dallas)

Phone Number: 972-380-8800

Hours: Mon - Sat: 9:00am - 5:00pm, Sun: 11:00am - 5:00pm

Admission: Adults: $10.00 Seniors & Military: $8.00 Children (4 - 12): $5.00 Children 3 & Under: Free


Addison Texas Logo

 

Son's Of The Flag Bur Foundation Follow Me on Pinterest